Sammie The African Grey

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Breakfast with Sammie


From the desk of Dianne:

We have an established morning routine. I get up and start the coffee brewing, Diz doesn't budge from under the covers until she hears the familiar sounds of her food being put in her bowl. Sammie's cage is covered at night and she wakes when she's ready.

She starts out nicely..."Good morning!" Then, she goes into her charming French girl mode, "Bonjour." After a few minutes it's "DIANNE!!!!!" That's when it's time to uncover her cage, let her get on my hand and give me my morning kiss. Sometimes, she doesn't feel like kissing so just makes a smooching sound, while looking toward her perch, where her breakfast awaits.

She doesn't get much bird food or she'd become a seed junkie. Her favorites are scrambled eggs and cheese. She likes toast and pizza crust too (unsalted) , but African Grey's taste change on a regular basis. Sometimes it's blueberries and another time it might be grapes. For a treat, I give her Nutriberries.

When we lived in Tennessee and owned a cat, Sammie would watch as I prepared the cat's meal and then, she would say, "Here Kitty-Kitty!

If I feed her scrambled eggs, Diz waits for what might be dropped on the floor so she can eat the left overs.


From the perch of Sammie:

I'm a morning bird but sometimes, my patience wears thin. How long does a girl have to wait for her breakfast anyway? No wonder I start yelling her name!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Rosa said…

    But Sammie, your French accent is so much more suitable for your type of "girl."

    And Dianne, I can totally relate as to "not moving fast enough" before the tone changes.

    You two crack me up! Poor Diz probably just sits back and rolls her eyes--being the sophisticated Italian she is.

    What a crew.

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Is this one Italian girl speaking to another?
    Diz

    Hey, I'm from the Congo! I don't know what I'm supposed to be speaking! No doubt, some kind of tribal verbage.
    Sammie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home