Sammie The African Grey

Thursday, March 23, 2006

The talking bird


From the desk of Dianne:

I'm often asked what Sammie's first word was and honestly, I don't remember! The first imitation I heard was when I took her out of her cage in the morning and she repeated the kissing sound. It excited me so much!

I would have to say her first word was probably, hello. Once she started talking, she said a lot of things. African Grey's practice when we aren't in the room. They are very proud birds and don't want to humiliate themselves by saying something wrong. I would stand in the other room and listen to her and she often sounded like ET on helium gas. It was cute.

But they don't just repeat. They know the name and face that go together. We had a cleaning lady and when she'd come in the house, Sammie would say, "Hi Ros." When we moved away, Sammie never said it again because Ros wasn't there. They know.

My daughter was staying with me and she would come downstairs and say, "Hi Sammie Girl. So Sammie started saying, "Hi Brandi Girl. I've never called my daughter that so Sammie made up that name herself.

The cable man was at the house, working on the television and he had to run out to his truck to get something and as he was walking down the hall, Sammie said, "See you later, babe." He stopped in his tracks and his head slowly turned around. I said, "It wasn't me, honest! It's my bird!"

Sammie starts saying that to me when she knows I'm getting ready to leave. I can get ready in the morning and not be planning on going anywhere and then, she doesn't say that but if I'm getting ready for going out, she starts saying, "See you later, babe." Amazing bird. When I come home she says, "Mommie's home!"

Mostly, she uses my husband's voice. I thought it was because is might be easier for her but after reading, they use the voice of the person they consider their rival. She's competing with David, which I find cute.

I had some electricians in the house for a few days putting in special lighting and Sammie was using her naughty language. One guy asked, "Did I just hear what I thought I heard?" I was laid back about it (it was the South, the Bible buckle after all) and told him, yes, it was what he thought he'd heard. He asked me, "What do you do when people come over with their young children?" I told him I didn't allow people with young children to visit!

From the perch of Sammie:

I love to talk (I'm a female, what did you expect?)"

1 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Dianne said…

    I'll send you a 8X10 black and white, autographed glossy!
    Sammie

    Oh no she won't. She hasn't learned how to write yet!
    Dianne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home