Sammie The African Grey

Monday, March 13, 2006

Nightly Loving


From the desk of Dianne:

Since the day I brought Sammie home, we've had a special bonding time every night. I hold her for a minimum of one hour and we kiss and work on her vocabulary. Right now, we're working on "Go Steelers." She knows how to say, Go Titans. I was never a loyal fan of that team but since we lived in Nashville, I felt she needed to learn how to cheer for the home team (they needed all the help they could get last year!). So, she's trying...she now just says, "Go" and you can see her thinking about which team she wants to cheer for.

The "t" sound is difficult for her since her words are formed in her throat and some words just have to have the tongue involved. Titans comes out as Kikans.

I think we moved from TN just in time. They were building a house to the side of ours and she was learning all the construction noises...hammering, hammer gun and the alarm on the trucks backing up. I not only heard these sounds all day but into the night as she repeated them!

Greys love to mimic noises like the door bell, the telephone, belching and some things even worse! You have to be very careful of what you say or they will learn it and never forget. And yes, Sammie does say one swear word and quite loudly! I just ignore her when she says it.

From the perch of Sammie:

I might decide to cheer for the Dallas Cowboys! That should irritate Dianne.

And excuse me, where do you think I learned that naughty word? I'll give you a clue...it's always said in Dianne's voice!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    No really, she learned it from Diz. She has my voice and Diz's confused. That Diz is such a potty mouth.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home